We are looking to recruit a Barrister or Solicitor with higher rights of audience to join the in house advocacy team of a leading law firm.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a growing department within a highly successful firm.
Our client's In House advocacy team acts as the firm's own in house chambers, acting on matters across the full practice range that the firm offers.
Main function of job:
The Lead Advocate will conduct high value and complex hearings/trials and drafting. You will have a strong practice base in a specialist area of law in which you will continue to practise and which you will develop within the business. Where possible you will also be expected to expand outside your own practice area and that of others to increase overall revenue streams.
You will also act as a team leader for 2 Junior Advocates, with the scope to expand that team to 4.
You will assist to recruit, train and provide technical supervision to new starters to the team and provide day-to-day supervision and assistance to your supervisees and to others as and when required. Reporting directly to the Deputy Director of Advocacy you will assist with new internal/external client capture, business development and client relations (bids, tenders, seminars, CPD events etc).
- Conducting final and interlocutory hearings for the Insurance, Employment, Commercial and International Services divisions of the firm.
- Drafting legal documents on instruction from internal/external clients.
- Dealing with the complex and specialist work in the team.
- Working to gain new revenue streams for the business from internal and external clients.
- Responsibility for the technical supervision of new and existing Advocates as well as their continuing professional development.
- Responsibility for dealing professionally and appropriately with human resources issues arising in respect of your supervisees.
- Focusing on building and retaining strong internal relationships with fee earners in order to support the growth of the team.
- Responsible for Advocacy Events for their location as well being involved in events across the businesses.
- Responsible for being the key Advocacy point of contact for their location and other offices on the North-Eastern Circuit.
- Law degree at 2.1 or above
- BVC or BPTC at Very Competent or above (or Solicitor Advocate qualification)
- Will have extensive advocacy experience, preferably in complex civil litigation, insurance disputes and costs.
- Demonstrable leadership abilities.
- Proven ability to develop the abilities and career paths of those that report to them.
- Proven commercial awareness, ability to identify business opportunities and convert in to new revenue streams.
- Will have experience and proven record in effective business development.
- Will have extensive experience in commercial litigation (domestic and/or international). and
- Desirable to have management experience.
What we can offer:
This role offers the potential for candidates to work a couple of days from home with the remainder of the week to be from the Leeds office.
The role also offers a range of benefits to pick from as suits you, your needs and your lifestyle. In addition to our client's standard benefits (medical insurance, life insurance, pension and 25 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays), they offer flexible benefits which include season ticket loans, holiday buy / sell scheme, gym memberships, health assessments, cycle to work, retail vouchers and dining cards.